Call   1300 787 376

Your passport or other travel documents are lost, damaged or stolen

Your passport or other travel documents are lost, damaged or stolen

If something happens to your passport or travel documents, don't panic. See our guide for what to do.

What to do

  • Report the incident ASAP. You must report any loss, theft or damage to your passport or other travel documents to the following authorities as soon as possible (and no later than 24 hours after discovery) - the local police (for theft and loss) and the nearest embassy, diplomatic or consular mission.

  • Gather a copy of the report that is filed. Contact our Emergency Assistance team on +612 9234 3113 if you need help with this.

  • Report the incident to any other relevant authorities involved, such as airline, hotel or tour operator. For example, if a theft occurs on a plane, report the incident to the airline, and get a Property Irregularity Report (PRP) from them as documentation of the event. If it’s stolen from your hotel safe, report it to your hotel and ask them for a written report about what happened. Include details of any compensation the service providers will provide for your loss.

  • If you need a replacement passport, go to the nearest embassy or consulate. If your passport needs replacing, you may need to arrange to travel to a different location to collect your emergency passport.

  • Rearrange or cancel your bookings. As soon as you know that any pre-booked or pre-paid travel arrangements will be affected, you must try to reschedule them or make alternative arrangements. If you can’t rearrange some or all of your travel plans, you must cancel them as soon as possible. If you don’t act immediately, we may either not pay your claim or reduce how much we pay for any additional costs that arise as a result of any delay. You should only cancel arrangements when you have no other alternative.

Minimum documentation required to support your claim

  • Get it in writing. You must get a written report from all of the authorities that you’ve been in contact with. If the police department (or other relevant authority) does not provide reports in writing, you must get their contact details and any relevant reference/event number so that we can contact them.

  • Provide evidence. If your passport or other travel documents are stolen from a locked safe or cabinet, you must provide evidence that they were locked away and concealed at the time they were stolen; for example, a police report confirming that the safe in your hotel room was forced open.

  • Provide receipts for expenses incurred. You must provide receipts for all expenses incurred, such as emergency travel documents; extra transport or accommodation; cancelled arrangements etc.